1.05.2007

January '07 Previews Pop Culture Crossover

Just a few notable one-shots, minis, and series' beginnings listed in this month's Previews, on sale in March. These comics can all be found in this month's Previews under their particular publishers.

Headlining this month would have to be Buffy the Vampire Slayer #1, with a release date of March 7.

Books

  • Conan: The Hall of the Dead and Other Stories (Dark Horse, HC collection)
    I've been a fan of Conan ever since I discovered the books as a kid. With writers such as Busiek and Mignola on it, I might pick this up when it hits TPB in June.

TV

  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer #1 (Dark Horse, new series)
    As I mentioned before, I'm looking forward to this one. Dark Horse is also relisting other TPBs this month, including the popular Fray.
  • New Battlestar Galactica Volume 1 (Dynamite Entertainment, TPB)
    I've been watching the show since the pilot - how does the comic compare?
  • Stephen Colbert's Tek Jansen #1 (Oni Press, mini)
    I've seen him on the few snippets of the Daily Show that I've watched, and briefly on his show; is this actually going to be any good? I understand it's based on a supposed novel he's written that no one's ever seen. The ad compares it to The Tick. I doubt it.

Movies

  • Star Wars: 30th Anniversary Collection Volume 3 - Darth Maul (Dark Horse, HC collection)
  • Highlander #1 - Director's Cut (Dynamite Entertainment, re-release)
  • Hack/Slash vs. Chucky (Devil's Due, one-shot)
    Written by Hack/Slash creator Tim Seeley.
  • 28 Days Later: The Aftermath (Fox Atomic Comics, graphic novel)
    The movie was good; and not just because the main character was named Jim. Writers include Steve Niles (30 Days of Night).
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie Adaptation #1 (one-shot) and The Movie Prequel (five-part series) (Mirage Studios)
    The adaptation is a one-shot of the film being released in March. The prequels are all being released at the same time, one for each of the main characters (including April).
  • Shaun the Sheep Comic #1 (Titan Publishing, new series)
    From Wallace & Gromit: A Close Shave.
Games

  • Bloodrayne: Tibetan Heights #1 (Digital Webbing, one-shot)

Other

  • NASCAR Heroes #1 (NASCAR Comics, new series)
    Good grief. I'll pass on this one.

In a low point this month, CSI: Dying in the Gutters TPB from IDW Publishing is also being solicited (this is the CSI crossover with the real world of comics). I happened to get my hands on the mini preview comics a few months ago, thinking this could be a fascinating read. Unfortunately, I thought it was horribly written, so I never went any further. What I want to know is, did it get any better?

Have I missed anything worth mentioning?

No comments: