2.16.2008

December 2007 Previews Pop Culture Crossover

Finally got that December Previews. Guess I'll have to keep getting these on-line so this doesn't happen again. Special thanks to morpuddypond who sent me the copy I used for this edition. Hope you enjoy Rex Libris - it went out in the mail today!

OK; so here's my monthly Previews list of interesting comic crossovers with movies, television, books and video games. So, I'm a couple months late, but I've got January and February waiting in the wings!

TV
  • 24: Cold Warriors (one-shot, IDW)
    48 pages of commercial-free Jack Bauer. Does this mean every 2 pages is a full hour of Jack's life?

Movies

  • The Terminator Omnibus Volume 1 (TPB, Dark Horse)
    Terminator gets the massive book treatment in this 352-page volume.
  • Jumper: Jumpscars (TPB, Dark Horse)
    It's a comic-book prequel! I still can't tell if that's a combo of "Jumps Cars" or "Jump Scars". The film's out now...it actually look interesting - here's the site.

Books/Stories
  • Lords of Avalon: Sword of Darkness #1 (6-part mini, Marvel)
    Swords and sorcery. Adapted from Kinley MacGregor's book.
  • Moby Dick #1 (Marvel Illustrated) (6-part mini, Marvel)
    I've been meaning to pick this up for years. Which raises the question - do you read the book or the comic first?
  • Rogue Angel: Teller of Tales #1 (mini, IDW)
    Never heard of this series of books. Dang, I'm really late with this list - this is already out.
  • Tiger and Crane #1 (4-part mini, Bluewater Productions)
    Chinese folk hero Wong Fei Hung (or Huang Fei-hong) is probably the most prolific film character - he has been portrayed in well over 100 movies. Out of the few I've seen, Jackie Chan's Drunken Master films and Jet Li's Once Upon a Time in China series are pretty amazing. This mini-series teams Wong Fei Hung up with an American spy to prevent the Japanese from winning World War II.
  • Zorro #1 (new series, Dynamite Entertainment)
    Originating in the early 1900's Zorro has also been the subject of numerous stories and films. This incarnation is written by Grendel creator Matt Wagner.

Games

  • Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (graphic novel, Dark Horse)
    I have a special place in my heart for the first person shooter, Star Wars: Dark Forces, but looking at the game this comic is based on it may just surpass it. I'm just glad it's coming out for the PS2. Check out the official site
    .
  • The World of Dungeons & Dragons #1 (new series, Devil's Due)
    I haven't picked up any of the Dragonlance or Forgotten Realms series Devil's Due has put out (though I was a major fan of the books based in both worlds back before marriage, family, job, and blogging), so I don't know the quality of the stories they're currently publishing. I wonder if this series will include stories outside those two worlds.

Some of these books are already shipping...anyone care to share if they're any good? And did I miss anything worth noting?

No comments: